How to Make Vegan + Gluten-Free Soft Pretzels
Makes 8 large pretzels
Soft and chewy with a crispy crust, these homemade German-style soft pretzels are everything you could ever want in a pretzel and more. Made with Unsweetened Milked Cashews, they're gluten-free, dairy-free & perfect to pair with a classic mustard dip!
- 2 cups Elmhurst 1925 Unsweetened Cashew Milk
- 3 Tbsp Maple Syrup or Agave
- 3 tsp Active Dry Yeast
- 2 ¾ cup GF Oat Flour
- 1 ¼ cup Tapioca Flour
- 1 cup + 2 Tbsp Arrowroot Powder
2 Tbsp Ground Flax or Psyllium Husk
1/3 cup Coconut Oil (melted & cooled)
2 ½ tsp Salt
For topping - Coarse Sea Salt
- In a small pot, warm cashew milk over medium-low heat careful not to overheat. Remove from heat and add maple syrup & yeast, stirring until combined. Let sit for 15 min while yeast activates
- In a large bowl, combine flour, arrowroot, flax, and salt. Add coconut oil & yeast mixture and mix on medium speed for 5 minutes, or until dough is sticky but firm.
- Transfer to a floured surface and knead with tapioca dusted hands (reduces sticking) for 2 min
- Shape into a ball and place into a lightly oiled bowl. Cover with a dish towel & set in a warm place for 1 hour rise – dough will double in size.
- Bring 10 cups water and baking soda to a boil.
- On floured surface, divide dough into 8 pieces and roll into 15-18in long ropes and shape.*
- With a spatula, carefully move a pretzel into the boiling water for 30 seconds. Gently lift onto a lined baking sheet. Repeat with remainin
- Let pretzels sit for about 10 minutes while oven preheats to 450F
- Sprinkle with coarse sea salt and bake for 15 min or until pretzels are golden brown. Enjoy!
*To get the classic pretzel twist – make a U, then take both ends and cross over each other twice. Fold ends down to the bottom of the U shape and press lightly
Store leftovers in the freezer and defrost in the microwave/oven before serving again.