Plant Milk Is Milk, Too! How Elmhurst® Matches Dairy
Nicholas Budniewski | January 11, 2019
Not all milk is the same. National Milk Day invites us to celebrate alternatives. Plant milk is just as much a part of today’s culture as dairy, and Elmhurst® has made it simpler and better than ever.
Consider these facts. .
• Dairy milk is a significant “Big 8” allergen. According to the American College of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology, 2 to 3 percent of children younger than 3 years are allergic to milk; and only 20% have outgrown this by the age of 4.1
• Lactose intolerance is even more prevalent than milk allergy. 65 percent of the world’s population has reduced ability to digest lactase, a sugar natural in many dairy products.2
• Some cows are treated with antibiotics and hormones, with oft-debated effects. Per Science magazine, 80% of all antibiotics in the United States are given to animals to help them grow faster or resist disease.3 Hormones, most commonly rBST, are still used to increase milk production in US dairy cows.
• Cows’ milk is a good source of protein, with 8g per 8oz glass.5 Plant milks can be, too – particularly when made with lots of the source ingredient. Elmhurst’s Milked Almonds™ has 5g per serving, while Milked Peanuts™ with Chocolate matches cows’ milk with 8g.
• An 8oz glass of whole milk has 4.5g saturated fat, 24g cholesterol, and 12g sugar.5 Compare with an 8oz glass of Elmhurst Milked Cashews: 1.5g saturated fat, 0mg cholesterol, and 2g sugar. .
• Plant milk can draw nutrition from far more sources than cows’ milk – for instance, Elmhurst oat milk with 20g whole grain per serving.
So, there are plenty of reasons to make this a National Plant Milk Day. With smooth creamy texture, 6 simple ingredients or less, and a range of varieties that would make cows’ jealous, Elmhurst is your best answer to dairy’s big questions.
1 American College of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology, “Milk & Dairy Allergy,” 2014. .
2 Genetics Home Reference, “Lactose Intolerance,” 1-9-2019. .
3 Giorgia Guglielmi, “Are Antibiotics Turning Livestock into Superbug Factories?,” Science, 9-28-17. .
4 Mateusz Perkowski, “Dairymen Reject rBST Largely on Economic Grounds,” .
5 Eat This Much, 2018, Capital Press, 12-10-13.