Vegan Peppermint Mocha
The thought of a warm cup of coffee on any given cold day during winter is one filled with comfort. Before now, getting that perfect Vegan Peppermint Mocha using a high-quality, barista-approved plant-based milk was almost non-existent.
One of the first beverages we wanted to taste upon the release of Elmhurst Barista Almond Milk was a Vegan Peppermint Mocha.
Compared with other plant-based barista brands, Elmhurst Barista Almond Milk is made with just five ingredients (half of some competitors). It contains no gums, artificial flavors, dairy, or gluten. It’s also carrageenan-free, kosher, and vegan.
When steaming this plant-based milk to make a Vegan Peppermint Mocha, you’ll understand why both baristas and those crafting the perfect beverage at home enjoy the product so much. From the way it creates a perfect microfoam to the simplistic flavor enhancement, there is something very beautiful and indulgent pouring from carton to beverage.
Grab a carton (or a few; free shipping with any purchase of $25+) and join us in making this Vegan Peppermint Mocha today.
How to Make a Mocha Using Brewed Coffee
The traditional mocha at your favorite coffee shop is made with approximately 1/5 steamed milk, 2/5 chocolate, 2/5 espresso and topped with whipped cream.
Most people don’t have an espresso machine at home, but that doesn’t mean you can’t still make a delightful mocha. Here is how to make a mocha using brewed coffee:
1. Brew the amount of coffee you’ll need for the mocha. Make note that since the coffee is replacing espresso, you should brew a double-strength coffee. Coffee reaches double strength when it’s around 4 Tbsp of coffee to 6 ounces of water.
2. Make a café-style chocolate syrup.
3. Steam or heat your plant-based milk on the stove.
4. Combine the chocolate and coffee, and place into a coffee mug.
5. Fill the rest of the mug with the heated milk.
6. Top with whipped cream and/or any other toppings of choice.
Besides brewing the perfect cup of (strong) coffee for your mocha, you’ll need a chocolate sauce to softly soak into the beverage. We used Minimalist Baker’s 7-Minute Vegan Chocolate Syrup recipe which includes cacao powder, maple syrup, dark chocolate, sea salt, and vanilla. Click HERE to find her full recipe.
- 1 cup coffee, brewed strong
- ¾ cup Elmhurst Barista Almond Milk
- 3 Tbsp chocolate sauce (recipe from Minimalist Baker)
- 3 drops peppermint
- ½ - 1 tsp maple syrup, optional
- Whipped cream, chocolate chips, peppermint shavings, as optional toppings
- Brew coffee and set aside.
- Make the chocolate sauce.
- Fill a large mug with the coffee, chocolate sauce, and peppermint. Stir.
- Steam or heat the Elmhurst Barista Almond Milk on the stove. If desired, froth with a hand frother.
- Combine the coffee mixture with the milk and give it a final stir.
- Top with frothed milk (and any other toppings you may desire) and enjoy.
Yield: 1-2 Servings
Serving size: approx. 4-8oz
If you make thimosts recipe, share it with us on Instagram by tagging @Elmhurst1925 or #SimplerBetter.