Pumpkin Spice Latte
It never fails. Each year around the end of July or beginning of August, people start asking, “When will the Pumpkin Spice Latte return?” And each year, both major chains and smaller coffee shops announce its return at the end of August or beginning of September.
We have good news for you. No matter if you’re reading this in July, August, December, or May, you’ll never have to wait another moment to enjoy the purest, most delicious Pumpkin Spice Latte you’ve never had.
WHY IS THE PUMPKIN SPICE LATTE SO POPULAR?
For many, fall would not be complete with all things pumpkin. From lattes to soups, bread to risotto, the simple squash is a crowd favorite.
But what makes the Pumpkin Spice Latte a cultural phenomenon? Here are our favorite four reasons.
1. It’s Insta-worthy. With its vibrant colors and mass appeal, everyone wants to share their PSL (Pumpkin Spice Latte) on Instagram. (We know you do, too. Once you try our recipe below, tag us in your image with @Elmhurst1925 and/or #SimplerBetter)
2. Sets the holiday season spirit. The Pumpkin Spice Latte is the kickoff for all things holiday; food and beverage, cozy and festive.
3. Tastes incredible. The Pumpkin Spice Latte is made with sugar, fat, and caffeine, which makes for a triple-indulgent beverage.
4. Everyone is doing it. Everywhere you look, someone, somewhere is talking about the popular beverage. There are Pumpkin Spice Latte memes and quotes galore. Joining in the conversation and celebrating community is half the fun.
But despite these four reasons why the Pumpkin Spice Latte is so popular, not everyone prefers the traditional (and original) beverage. The reasons for this are plenty; from too much sugar or fat to “it’s barely real pumpkin” and it’s not Vegan. There is a simpler, better solution.
WHY IS MAKING YOUR OWN PUMPKIN SPICE LATTE BETTER?
The answer to this question is basic: “Because simpler is better.” In case you’ve never spent time reading the Pumpkin Spice Latte ingredients at a national chain, we’ll save you the trouble and let you know that there are no less than three full lines of ingredients.
These ingredients include everything from dairy to Potassium Sorbate, Carrageenan and more. When you choose to make your own, you can do so with just 6 simple ingredients, and here’s exactly how to do it.
- 2 cups Elmhurst Cashew Milk
- ¾ cup coffee, brewed strong
- 2.5 Tbsp fresh pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 2 Tbsp maple syrup (or sugar of choice)
- 2 tsp vanilla
- ¾ tsp pumpkin pie spice (plus extras for topping)
- Brew coffee and set aside.
- In a large pan, add Elmhurst Cashew Milk, pumpkin puree, maple syrup, vanilla, and pumpkin pie spice.
- Cook on medium-low, stirring constantly until all ingredients completely blended together.
- Add coffee, and finish stirring until desired drinking temperature is reached.
- Serve as is or with a whipped topping and extra pumpkin pie spice, if desired.
- Note: To achieve the best consistency and a little froth, we used the Nestpark Portable Drink Mixer
Prep time: 5 minutes